Wednesday, November 18, 2015

St Joseph, loving father to the Divine Child Within

St Joseph, symbol of our sacred labour

The Sacred Altars capture the essence of the 
prayer card and brings it to life

In the depths of winter the divine child is born.
On the darkest of days we celebrate the birth of the divine child. 
It is on the darkest nights of winter that God’s creative 
urges wells up to give birth to his child: the divine child. 
Christ is God’s child. But God is not alone.
God is always with the mother,
though she may be hidden or transparent. 

Jung says :
“How am I to be creative?
 Nature knows only one answer to that: 
Through a child (the gift of love).” 

The child is born, ‘the gift of love.’ Nature births us into world. 
The divine couple births the soul into the eternal.
 In the Christian myth,
 the divine child is born from the virgin womb of the mother Mary.
 In 431 the Council of Ephesus said that Mary is Theotokos:
 “God-bearer”, “Birth-Giver of God”, “the one who gives birth to God.” 

Here, within our hearts, God procreates with the Mother, the divine vessel, 
giving birth to a possibility: call it the divine child, 
the potential of the soul. This divine birth within is no easy task. 
There is something within us that wants to kill it off, 
a murderous instinct within psychic life.
  The revelation of the divine child is so disastrous,
 so threatening to the old guard, 
that it must be killed. 
According to the Gospel of Matthew 2:16–18, 
Herod ordered the execution of all babies in Bethlehem,
 desiring to assure the death of the divine child.

[Herod] “gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem 
and its vicinity who were two years old or under, 
in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi.”
The divine child must outlive the murderous instincts of the superego. 
Our soul must survive the murderous rage of the envious tyrant
 who seems to rule the inner world.
 The murderous superego does not believe in the potential of our own soul. 
He does not trust in the good, in the enduring.  
He cannot see the soul’s potential: the child of the divine mother and father.
 It is our spiritual labor to protect the child. 
To be like Joseph, listening to the angels, protecting the child.




 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream.
 “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt.
 Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”

 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night 
and left for Egypt,where he stayed until the death of Herod. 
And so was fulfilled what the Lord 
had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.” (Matthew 2:13–15)

Joseph, the good father - Altars of the Mysteries Oracle Deck by Hettienne Grobler

Joseph sees the angel of the Lord, 
and the angel says that he must flee Egypt, symbol of tyranny. 
We must leave behind the tyranny of Herod ruled by fear,
 finding a place for the soul’s birth,
 and protecting the soul so that it may grow.


On the back of the shrine I added an old
image of a holy card which I scanned and distressed
I covered the back of the shrine with pages
from a very old Bible


I used pearls everywhere to add to the
sensual feeling of the colours and lilies


the calla lilies or arum lilies (indigenous to my
plantlife in South Africa)
is a symbol of Jesus' resurrection and is
also seen as a symbol of faith.
 This is a powerful
reminder of what still lies ahead for this loving father
and how much our faith will be tested on our own
personal journeys of doing the sacred work.
the lilies are the exact same colour
as the lilies held in St Joseph's hand


I added a tiny rosary with a connector
with St Joseph lilies on the back!


I used vintage measuring tape and yard sticks
every where to bring in the carpenter aspect.

I sell very few of these shrines as I am working
on a Mystical Mary Tarot Deck.
When I see the Saints and Holy Ones, I
also see the Great Stories of Humanity and the
archetypes as set out by Jung, Campbell
and others.

And here is one of my absolute favourites :

St Joseph the Good Father
Here you can see how I emphasizes the carpenter
and worker ethic of St Joseph.

I used many vintage wood pieces
and the shrine is standing on wooden feet.
I also used many miniature tools of the trade.


as well as a child's ABC blocks to
show how in touch this Holy Father
is with his Child and his level of devotion


PritiLisa sent me one of her old vintage
books a while ago.  This was a text book
for masonry workers.  I used the creed
of the masons as the background page in this
shrine.  The rest of the papers are from
old Bibles.

I like to layer in my shrines as I feel that
it all adds to the energy and feel of the
shrine and so increases its emotional
and spiritual value in our understanding.

I had collected these miniature tools and
tool case over the years and had been saving it
for the perfect piece of art - and here it is!





I hope these shrines inspire you almost as much
as they inspire me.  To me they just speak of
such incredible Divine Love for us and our
personal stories as they are echoed in these
Holy Stories.

love to you
Hettienne




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments - I read each and every one! I have taken the word verification off - hope it makes it easier