Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day Eleven of Shrines for Mary


A shrine for the blessed child within


An iconic shrine to the Lost Inner Child.

When I first started putting this shrine together, it called itself the Shrine of Lost Children.  
But as I listened to the creative voice within, and I put the bits and pieces together, I started to understand that this is indeed an Ode to the Lost Child Within myself and other 'grown-ups'.



Like the Queen of Hearts in Wonderland, who demanded 'Off with her head!', this piece started with the head of a frozen charlotte doll.  When I held that tiny little head in my hand, so many feelings came to the surface.  Everything just flowed from there, as it does in the creative process.  No time to think!

Then followed the ceramic arms and hands of a doll that I brought back from France;  a small plastic doll clothes' hanger and a tiny rocking horse.  


All against the backdrop of stamped images of the Holy Mother and a beautiful antiqued statue of Our Lady of Lourdes which I brought back from the Lourdes Grotto.  Her divine presence supports and holds this process of realizing that a child within has become buried under the responsibilities and identity of adulthood.


As children we learn certain core beliefs and attitudes and these we take with us into our adult life.  At times we are completely unaware of the self-limitation and emotional pain that we inflict upon ourselves by holding on to these childhood beliefs - often based on experience.  

Our attitudes regarding our worthiness, personal value, and 
relationships are some of the values we incorporate into our lives from childhood. 
We also become so weighed down with the practical
realities of life and living
and the responsibilities that can weigh so 
heavily on us as adults and caregivers
and parents and providers.
At times we hold on to grief and grieving,
and feelings of hurt and having been hurt,
far too long.
When we give ourselves permission to play again, be it through art, playing with paint,
clay, paper or just by making a thorough mess
do we realize to what an extent  we suffer from a  loss of childhood.


Grieving this loss and awakening to the miracle of transformation of personal re-parenting can wake us up to a new life, one true to ourselves and not our family patterning.
Inside each of us is a blessed child. 

How we honor ourselves by honoring that child will bring us much healing, wholeness, happiness and joy.


a blessed journey to you
on this pilgrimage of wholeness 
with 
Mary.

Visit Rebecca for more wonderful offerings.

blessings





1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed your shrines so much and am learning how to put one together. I think I've made two or 3 but looking at yours have inspired me to find a box and make a shrine.:) It's beautiful and your words are oh so true. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I read each and every one! I have taken the word verification off - hope it makes it easier